Home

HMS Iron Duke (1914) BB  (2nd)

    
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Iron Duke was the name ship of a Class of four battleships.

Built at Portsmouth Dockyard and launched 12-Oct-1910.

Was the Flagship of the Grand Fleet from 1914 to 1916, including Flagship at Jutland.

She continued with the Grand Fleet throughout the war and served in the Mediterranean from 1919 to 1926, including operations against the Bolsheviks in the Black Sea.

Served with the Atlantic Fleet from 1926 to 1929, after which she became a training ship with reduced armament until 1939.

Took part in the King George V Silver Jubilee Fleet Review 16-Jul-1935.

At the start of WW2 she moved to Scapa Flow, being used as depot ship and also for defence as some of her guns were still operational. She was damaged by aircraft bombs and had to be bottomed. Continued in service until the end of the war. 

Sold Feb-1946 and arrived at Faslane Aug-1946 for breaking up. Was resold during the work and the hulk arrived at Port Glasgow 30-Nov-1948 for final breaking up.

Won the Battle Honour: Jutland 1916.


Other HMS Iron Duke
- 1st HMS Iron Duke
- 2nd HMS Iron Duke
- 3rd HMS Iron Duke

- Iron Duke Class (1914)
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

- Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

This page last edited - 03 February, 2013.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.