HMS Caradoc (1917) CC (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Caradoc was a
Built by Scotts, laid down 21-Feb-1916, launched 23-Dec-1916 and commissioned 15-Jun-1917.
On completion served with the 6th Light Cruiser Squadron in the Grand Fleet from 1917 to 1919.
In 1919 was in the Baltic in action against the Bolsheviks, where she assisted in capturing the Soviet destroyers Avtroil and Spartak.
On 29-Feb-1919 went to the Mediterranean and the 3rd Cruiser Squadron, where she remained until Dec-1926. Then went to the China Station, returning home 15-Sep-1927 when she went into refit.
On completion joined the America and West Indies Station from Oct-1928 to Feb-1930. After which she went into reserve from March until July 1930.
Then it was back to the China Station again and the 5th Cruiser Squadron until 1934. Returning home and going back into reserve again from 17-Oct-1934 until 1939.
When the war started she went to the America and West Indies Station from 1939 until 1942. In Oct-1939 transported $2million in god to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Captured the blockade runners Emmy Friedrich in the Yucatan Channel, 23-Oct-1939, and the Rhein on 11-Dec-1940.
Refitted at New York from 28-Oct-1941 to 26-Feb-1942, then went to the Eastern Fleet until 1943.
Jun-1943 at Durban converted to a gunnery training ship for the South African Station.
Apr-1944 went to Colombo to serve as base ship until 1945 and became Flagship, East Indies Aug-1945.
Arrived Mar-1946 at Briton Ferry for breaking up.
Won the Battle Honour: Atlantic 1940.
Other HMS Caradoc
|c. w. m/|
This page last edited -
26 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.