Caledon Class (1917) CC
Caledon Class (1917) light cruisers were the fourth sub-group of C Class
cruisers which began during WW1 as a development of the first light cruiser
design, the Arethusa Class. They were designed for service in the North Sea.
They were slightly larger than the previous C Class ships.
In Oct-1915 six ships of the class were authorised and four ordered, all being laid down by April-1916.
All were completed for service during the war and so not all of them ran full trials.
All survived the war but Cassandra was mined and sunk in the Baltic during operations against the Bolsheviks.
The three others spent most of the 1930's in reserve.
This page last edited -
05 July, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.