HMS Caledon (1917) CC (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Caledon was a light
cruiser. The name ship of the Caledon Class (1917) CC cruisers.
Built by Cammell Laird, laid down 17-Mar-1916, launched 25-Nov-1916, and completed 06-Mar-1917.
On commissioning joined the 6th Light Cruiser Squadron and served with the Grand Fleet.
Saw action at Heligoland Bight 17-Nov-1917 during WW1.
Served with the Atlantic and Home Fleets from 1919 - 1926. Refitted 17-Aug-1926 until 05-Sep-1927. After which she joined the 3rd Cruiser Squadron in the Mediterranean.
Went back into Reserve 31-Jul-1931, and remained there until August-1939 when she was at Scapa Flow.
Took part in the King George V Silver Jubilee Fleet Review 16-Jul-1935.
Served with the Northern Patrol until mid-1940 when she went to the Mediterranean at Alexandria, joining the 3rd Cruiser Squadron. Convoy escort work in the Eastern Mediterranean followed, including the Red Sea when she covered the evacuation from Berbera.
In 1941 she went to Colombo for refit which lasted from August to September.
She then remained with the Eastern Fleet and operated in the Indian Ocean until 1942.
Returned to Chatham 14-Sep-1942 for conversion to an Anti-aircraft cruiser, which took until 07-Dec-1943. She was the last C Class Cruiser to be converted in this way.
She then went to the Mediterranean end covered the Dragoon Landings in the South of France in Aug-1944. Then to the Eastern Mediterranean until the end of 1944.
In 1945 she returned home, was disarmed and placed in the Reserve.
Handed over for scrapping 22-Jan-1948 and arrived at Dover for breaking up 14-Feb-1948.
Other HMS Caledon
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
08 February, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.