Home

HMS Audacious (1870) BB  (2nd)

This Audacious was the name ship of the first ironclad battleships which were built as a class. 

She was the second ship to carry the name Audacious.

Built by Napier, launched 27-Feb-1869 and completed 1870.

After serving as Hull guardship from 1871-1874 she became Flagship on the China Station from 1874-1878. Then back to Hull, following which she had a refit.
On return to service it was back to China from 1883-1889.
After a second refit, a third spell at Hull followed, then Audacious went into reserve in 1894.

She became a depot ship in 1902 and was renamed Fisgard. Then 01-Jan-1906 became a training ship and renamed again to Imperieuse.

In 1914 became a repair ship.

Sold 12-Mar-1927 and broken up at Inverkeithing.

 

Other HMS Audacious
- 1st  HMS Audacious
- 2nd HMS Audacious
- 3rd HMS Audacious
- 4th HMS Audacious

- Audacious Class (1870) BB
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

This page last edited - 01 April, 2013.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.