Battleaxe Class (1943) LSD
four ships of the Battleaxe Class were dock landing ships (LSD).
Designed in the USA to a British staff requirement for a self-propelled drydock to transport landing craft over long distances. The flooding deck aft could carry 2 x British Landing Craft Tank (LCT) or 3 x US Landing Craft Tank. When additional optional internal decks fitted large numbers of vehicles could be carried and transferred to landing craft in the internal dock.
They were also used to complete emergency repairs to landing craft during the Normandy landings.
A total of seventeen were built as the US Navy Casa Grande Class with four transferred to the Royal Navy under lend-lease.
The first ship was intended to be called HMS Battleaxe, but commissioned as HMS Eastway.
This page last edited -
17 February, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.