Type 12 Whitby Class (1956)
Whitby Class was the result of a requirement for an AS vessel capable of
taking on the faster submarines that had appeared after WW2. Although
thought was given to diesel power, the speed required meant that larger
and more expensive steam turbines were needed.
The type proved popular in service, and set the basic layout for several later classes.
Only Scarborough, Eastbourne and Whitby were completed with torpedo tubes, and the other three ships were fitted with them in the late 1950s. Due to the poor performance of contemporary torpedoes, the tubes were removed from all ships by 1965. The STAAG mounting was also removed from all ships due to maintenance problems and replaced by a single 40mm gun.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.
This page last edited - 17 March, 2013.