Orlando Class (1888) CC
seven ships of the Orlando Class were 2nd Class Armoured Cruisers.
While they were technically armoured cruisers, during their design heavier machinery was incorporated and bunkerage increased so that the waterline rose to the top of the vertical armoured belt, so they were effectively protected cruisers.
They were part of the 1884 construction programme, and basically larger versions of the Mersey Class (1887). Their role was for trade protection as they were too slow for the fleet role.
Despite their useless armour belt and low speed they were popular in service, being reliable steamers and good seaboats.
Their range of 8,000nm at 10kts meant they were suited to world-wide trade protection duties.
The armoured cruiser concept was not repeated until the Cressy Class (1901).
This page last edited -
16 August, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.