Barracouta Class (1890) CC
Barracouta Class were a class of four ships , designed as torpedo cruisers.
They were the first cruisers to have a full length protective deck.
They were considered steady gun platforms but poor seaboats, being wet in heavy weather, especially amidships.
They were not intended for fleet work and were sheathed and coppered for service on tropical stations.
Blonde and Blanche were re-boilered with Laird boilered with Laird boilers in 1900-02.
This page last edited -
08 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.