D Class (1909) SS
Class submarines were the first RN diesel powered submarines. They also
introduced twin screws, saddle tanks, a gun forward of the conning tower,
and had radio fitted as standard, and reserve buoyancy was increased to
20.6% of the surface displacement. These new ideas came about as they were
the 1st Admiralty produced design and completely new, not having been
developed from the Holland design.
They were intended for service overseas, patrolling with elements of the fleet, were larger, and had much improved living conditions for their crew.
During WW1 they were based at Harwich, Immingham, Blyth and Dover, and were to support Fleet operations by destroying German warships. Three of the Class D2, D3, and D8 were present at the Battle of Heligoland 28-Aug-1914 when a British light cruiser force lured German naval forces onto Admiral Beatty's battle cruiser force.
They sank 2 U-boats during the war. In turn two were lost to enemy action and another two by mistake.
Towards the end of WW1 they were used as training boats based at Plymouth.
All surviving boats were decommissioned shortly after the end of the war.
This page last edited -
07 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.