HMS Wellington (1934) SL (3rd)
This the third ship to carry the name HMS Wellington was a
Grimsby Class (1934), sloop.
Built at Devonport Dockyard, laid down 25-Sep-1933, launched 29-May-1934, and completed 24-Jan-1935.
Wellington was the first post-1926 sloop not not carry a British seaport name as she was intended to serve on the New Zealand Station., where she arrived at Wellington 13-May-1935.
Service around the South-West Pacific continued until 19-Aug-1939 when she was ordered to Auckland to prepare for war.
Moved to Penang from Sep-to Nov-1939 when she returned to the UK, arriving Jan-1940. Served as convoy escort in the Channel and Gibraltar routes until the surrender of France. Then it was to the North Atlantic as convoy escort until Mid-1941, when she moved to the Freetown route. Operated there until Nov-1942 when she escorted troop convoys associated with Operation Torch, the North Africa landings. This lasted until Jul-1943 when she moved to the West Africa Command based at Freetown.
Refitted at Bermuda from May to Jul-1944, with the work completed on the Clyde Sep-1944.
Returned to Freetown from Sep-1944 until Jan-1945 when she moved to Gibraltar, remaining there until the war in Europe ended. Took the surrender of U-541 on 12-May-1945.
Returned to the UK Jun-1945 and was put into reserve at Milford Haven 06-Aug-1945.
Sold 06-Feb-1947 as HQ ship for the Honourable Company of Master Mariners. Remains at her moorings at the Kings Reach of the Thames.
Won the Battle Honour: Atlantic 1939-45.
This page last edited -
29 May, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.