Home

HMS Sappho (1892) CC  (4th)

    
This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Sappho was a 2nd class protected cruiser.

Built by Samuda of Poplar, laid down 1890, launched 09-May-1891 and completed 1892.

On completion went into reserve at Chatham 1892-1901 with a short detachment for trooping work 1895-96.

Served at the Cape Station 1901-02, then returned to the UK at Chatham 1902-03. Used as an RNR Drill Ship at the Firth of Forth 1903-05. Returned to reserve at Chatham 1906-07. To the America & West Indies Station 1907-10.

Went to Portsmouth 1911, then served as tender to the Flagship Home/Grand Fleet 1912-15. Then subsidiary duties at the Grand Fleet 1915-18.

Prepared as a blockship but broke down on her way to Ostend May-1918.

Sold 1921.

 

Other HMS Sappho
- 1st  HMS Sappho
- 2nd HMS Sappho
- 3rd  HMS Sappho
- 4th  HMS Sappho

- Apollo Class (1891) CC
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

c.
This page last edited - 04 February, 2013.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.