HMS Lincoln (1940) DD (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Lincoln was a Town
destroyer. One of 50 sold to the Royal Navy under the destroyers for bases
Originally USS Yarnall, built by Cramp, laid down 12-Feb-1918, launched 19-Jun-1918, commissioned in the US Navy 29-Nov-1918, commissioned in the Royal Navy 23-Oct-1940 and renamed.
Arrived at Devonport 15-Nov-1940 for a short refit and joined the 1st Escort Group 30-Nov.
Refitted Sep-1941 to Mar-1942 after which she was loaned to the Royal Norwegian Navy and served with the Western Local Escort Force based at Halifax.
Refitted at Charleston, North Carolina and reverted to British manning. Returned to the UK Dec-1943 and paid off.
Loaned to the Russian Navy 26-Aug-1944 when she was renamed Ruzni.
Returned to the Royal Navy at Rosyth 24-Aug-1952.
Sold Sep-1952 and broken up at Charlestown.
This page last edited -
03 May, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.