HMS Gambia (1942) CC (1st)
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Gambia was a Cruiser.
Built by Swan Hunter at Wallsend, laid down 24-Jul-1938, launched 30-Nov-1940, and commissioned 21-Feb-1942.
On completion went to the Eastern Fleet and took part in operation during the occupation of Madagascar Sep-1942. After which she carried out trade protection duties in the Indian Ocean until Jun-1943.
Was manned by the Royal New Zealand Navy from 1943.
Returned home for refit at Liverpool from Jun to Sep-1943. Then carried out anti-blockade runner patrols in the Bay of Biscay.
In 1944 returned to the Eastern Fleet, patrolling for blockade runners off the Cocos Islands in Feb-1944.
Covered carrier raids as part of the Eastern Fleet until Nov-1944, when she joined the British Pacific Fleet. Seeing action off Okinawa and Formosa before taking part in the final raids against the Japanese mainland.
Returned to Royal Navy control at Plymouth 27-Mar-1946 and went into refit which lasted until 01-Jul-1946, when she joined the 5th Cruiser Squadron with the Far East Fleet.
Returned to the UK 06-Jan-1948 and in Jan-1950 joined the 2nd Cruiser Squadron in the Mediterranean.
Appeared at the Coronation Review 1953.
Later joined the 1st Cruiser Squadron still in the Mediterranean where she remained until Oct-1954.
In 1955 moved to the East Indies Station as Flagship and returned to Chatham 19-Sep-1958.
Went to the Mediterranean 04-Nov-1958 and the 1st Cruiser Squadron.
Then it was on the South Atlantic 1960, before returning to home waters and the Home Fleet.
Paid of into reserve Dec-1960.
Remained in reserve at Portsmouth until sold for scrapping.
Left Portsmouth 02-Dec-1968 and arrived at Inverkeithing 05-Dec-1958 for breaking up.
|c. w. m.|
This page last edited -
10 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.