HMS Engadine (1914) CV (1st)
This the first ship to carry the name HMS Engadine was a
Originally a South-East & Chatham Railway Company, cross-Channel packet, built by William Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton, launched 01-Apr-1911, 316ft long, 41ft wide, drawing 13ft 8in and displacing 2550 tons.
Requisitioned 11-Aug-1914. Converted to a seaplane carrier at Chatham Dockyard by installing canvas screens fore and aft. Work including sea trial completed by 06-Sep-1914. Joined similarly converted Empress and Riviera at Harwich Oct-1914, Took part in operations in the North Sea including the Cuxhaven raid 25-Dec-1914.
Modified by Cunard of Liverpool 10-Feb/23-Mar-1915 with a large permanent hangar aft.
Based at Granton in the Firth of Forth Jul/Oct-1915 and then joined the Battle Cruiser Squadron at Rosyth as it's aviation vessel until late 1917.
At the Battle of Jutland was with the light cruiser scouting line. Towed the damaged cruiser HMS Warrior until she was abandoned, when she rescued her crew.
Moved the Mediterranean early 1918 and remained there until the end of WW1 based at Malta.
Returned to her owners Dec-1919. Sold to Southern Railway 1923, Instone Line 1932 and Fernandez Hermanos Line of the Philippines 1933. Later renamed Corregidor.
Sunk by mine in Manila Bay Dec-1941.
Won the Battle Honour: Jutland 1916.
- ? Class
This page last edited -
14 March, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.