HMS Chatham (1912) CC (15th)
This the fifteenth ship to carry the name HMS Chatham was the name ship of a class of 5,400 ton
Built at Chatham Dockyard, laid down 03-Jan-1911, launched 09-Nov-1911, and completed Dec-1912.
On completion joined the Home Fleet 1912-13, then the Mediterranean 1913-14. On to the Red Sea and East Indies 1914-15. Took part in the Dardanelles campaign 1915.
Returned to the UK and joined the Grand Fleet as Flagship 3rd Light Cruiser Squadron 1916-19.
Struck a mine off Norfolk, 26-May-1916 and repaired at Chatham.
Went into Reserve 1919-20.
Loaned to New Zealand 1920-24, as first Flagship of the New Zealand division. Then moved to the East Indies Fleet as Flagship of the 4th Light Cruiser Squadron 1924-25.
Returned to the UK and paid off at Devonport Nov-1925.
Sold for scrapping 13-Jul-1926.
Won the Battle Honour: Dardanelles 1915-16.
Other HMS Chatham
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.This page last edited - 11 March, 2013.