Aubretia Class (1916) SL
ships of the Aubretia Class were the fourth sub-group of
Flower Class (1915)
minesweepers to be ordered under the War Emergency Construction Programme to
combat the growing threat of mines and submarines.
They were ordered in two batches, the first 6 ships in Jan-1916 and a second batch of another 6 ships in Dec-1916. Unlike the previous three sub-groups they were designed to look like small merchantmen but on the standard Flower-type hull. The hope was for them to deceive U-boat commanders into coming close enough on the surface so they could be shelled in a Q-ship type tactic.
Although they were generally used as convoy escort they were built with a triple hull at the bow and the above water facilities which other minesweepers had.
This page last edited -
19 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.