Ascot Class (1916) SL
ships of the Ascot Class were paddlewheel coastal minesweeping sloops built
under the Emergency War construction programme. Sometimes known as the
Racecourse Class as they were all named after racecourses.
The design was completed by the Ailsa Shipbuilding Company who also constructed three of them.
The design was later improved by the Admiralty as the Improved Ascot Class (1918.)
Of the 24 ships completed 5 were lost during WW1 and two were later taken up and served as minesweepers in WW2.
This page last edited -
19 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.