Acacia Class (1915) SL
ships of the Acacia Class (1915) were the first sub-group of
Flower Class (1915)
minesweepers to be ordered under the War Emergency Construction Programme to
combat the growing threat of mines and submarines.
They were ordered in two batches each of 12 ships. The first on 01-Jan-1915 and the second batch on 12-January. All were launched within about 4 or five months of the order and completed between May and September.
All had triple hulled bows which gave extra protection while sweeping. Used initially as minesweepers with the shortage of convoy escorts against U-boats during the crisis early months of 1917, they were transferred to convoy escort duty.
This page last edited -
19 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.