Q Class (1942) DD
were a repeat of the J Class, but with 4 x single gun main armament. They
were ordered in December 1939 and known as the 3rd Emergency Flotilla.
But due to the need to repair damage to ships up until Dunkirk, work was suspended in May-1940 and did not resume until Sep-1940. During their construction air raid damage to the shipyards meant further delays before they were completed. They did not all commission until Jan 1943.
Three were manned by Australians but were administered by the RN.
Two were lost during the war, and one went to the Royal Netherlands Navy in Nov-1945. The remainder going to the Royal Australian Navy, during or after the war.
This page last edited -
24 May, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.