N Class (1940) DD
Class were ordered in Jan-1939, a repeat of the J Class ships of the 1936
programme, because of the increased size and cost of the intervening L and M
Of the eight ships, five were manned by the Royal Australian Navy, one was transferred to Poland, two were transferred to the Royal Netherlands Navy.
So none of them were RN manned until 1945 when the four surviving Australian manned ships returned to the UK, and the Polish ship was returned in Sep-1946. The Dutch ships were permanently transferred.
Only one was lost during WW2.
This page last edited -
27 May, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.