K Class (1939) DD
Class ships were a repeat of the J Class and formed part of an expanded 1936
construction programme. They were ordered one month after the J's in April
1937 as war clouds were beginning to gather.
They formed the 5th Destroyer Flotilla and were intended for service in the Mediterranean. But war broke out before they were commissioned, and they were kept in Home waters with the Home Fleet.
Six of the eight were lost during WW2 and the surviving two were broken up in 1949.
This page last edited -
30 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.