Charger Class (1896) TBD
Charger Class was one of 14 Classes of Torpedo Boat Destroyers. Designed to a
common contract speed of 27kts, with each class built by a different
Built by Yarrow of Poplar, part of the 1893/94 construction programme. They were a class of three ships and followed on from the success of their prototypes.
In comparison to the prototypes the bow torpedo tube was omitted.
Also, as water-tube boilers rapidly showed their superiority to locomotive type boilers, they were re-boilered with water-tube boilers in 1899/1900.
This page last edited -
08 May, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.