Home

Edinburgh Class (1939) CC

The two ships of the Edinburgh Class were part of the 1936 construction programme, and the design was influenced by the London Naval Treaty of 1930 which meant 8in guns could no longer be mounted. In addition the usual British requirement that the ships have the ability to dock world wide, meant they could not exceed 615ft.

The design went through many changes with the original quad 6in turrets being reduced to triple guns as a result of problems during trials of the larger turret. The weight saved was used to increase armour protection.

They were basically a larger version of the Southampton Class (1937).

Edinburgh was lost during WW2 and Belfast became a Museum ship in 1971. She remains moored in London on the Thames.

 

- Class Ship
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures

Outside Links

- References
- Links

w. m.
This page last edited - 18 January, 2013.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.