Repulse Class (1916) BC
ships of the Repulse Class were a further class of battlecruiser. Although
the value of a fast ship was proved during the actions at the Falkland
Islands and Heligoland Bight. The vulnerability of reduced armour at
Jutland, was not realised until after they had been launched.
The design requirements of these ships were that they be fast but have a limited draught that could operate in the Baltic in support of amphibious landings on the north coast of Germany.
Their main armament was reduced to six guns. The secondary armament reduced to 15 x 4in guns mounted in triple turrets, but which would be limited in effectiveness against destroyers of the day.
Armour protection was limited especially their side armour. But they were the first ships to have anti-torpedo bulges designed as an integral part of the hull.
Deck armour was improved over earlier classes and anti-flash arrangements built into the magazines after Jutland. they had the most powerful propulsion machinery then fitted to a warship, having 42 boilers in six boiler rooms.
Flying off platform fitted to both ships on B and X turrets.
Anti-torpedo bulges modified. Improved side and deck armour fitted.
Both ship were reconstructed, but that done on Renown was more extensive than the work done on Repulse. So by WW2 they were quite different ships.
As the war progressed both ships had more anti-aircraft guns added, and radar fitted.
This page last edited -
21 January, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.