HMS Leith (1934) SL (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Leith was a Grimsby
Class (1934) escort sloop.
Built at Devonport Dockyard, laid down 06-Feb-1933, launched 09-Sep-1933 and completed 10-Jul-1934.
On commissioning went to the New Zealand Station and remained there until the outbreak of WW2.
Moved to the China station and was based at Penang until Nov-1939 when she left for the UK. After completing a refit joined Western Approaches Command 02-Feb-1940 as convoy escort on the Gibraltar route. Adding North Atlantic work from Aug-1940.
Refitted at Avonmouth Apr to Jun-1941, then it was back to work on the Gibraltar route. Joined Operation Torch Nov-1942 to early 1943.
Moved to the Freetown route until Aug-1944, and in Sep-1944 began refit at Gibraltar until Jan-1945 when she returned to the UK .
Operated in the English Channel until Jun-1945 when she paid off into reserve at Rosyth.
Sold for commercial service as Byron, 25-Nov-1946 and was later renamed Friendship.
Bought by the Royal Danish Navy in 1949 and recommissioned as the survey ship Galatea.
Sold for breaking up 1955.
Other HMS Leith
This page last edited -
07 May, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.