Home

HMS Gibraltar (1894) CC  (6th)

    
This the sixth ship to carry the name HMS Gibraltar was a 1st Class, Protected Cruiser.

built by Beardmore of Dalmuir, laid down 02-Dec-1889, launched 27-Apr-1892 and completed 01-Nov-1894.

On completion served on Particular Service 1894-95 then the 'Flying Squadron' 1896. Joined the Mediterranean Fleet 1896-99. Returned to the UK and reserve at Portsmouth 1899-1901. To the Cape Station as flagship 1901-04, then the America & West Indies Station 1904-96.

Back to the UK and reserve at Devonport 1906-13. But served on trooping duty to Australia 1908 and escorted new destroyers Parramatta and Yarra to Australia 1910-11.

Duty at the Anti-submarine School, Portland followed 1914. Joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron on the Northern patrol 1914. Disarmed early 1915 then served as Depot Ship for the Northern patrol 1915-18. Then Destroyer Depot Ship, Anti-submarine school, Portland 1919-22.

Sold 1923.

 

Other HMS Gibraltar
- 1st  HMS Gibraltar
- 2nd HMS Gibraltar
- 3rd HMS Gibraltar
- 4th HMS Gibraltar
- 5th HMS Gibraltar
- 6th HMS Gibraltar

- Edgar Class (1893) CC
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

c.
This page last edited - 05 March, 2013.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.