HMS Frobisher (1924) CC (1st)
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Frobisher was a
Built at Devonport Dockyard, laid down 02-Aug-1916, launched 20-Mar-1920 and completed 20-Sep-1924.
On completion served with the Mediterranean Fleet as Flagship 1st Cruiser Squadron, from 1924 to 1929. With a temporary detachment to the China Station in 1926.
Joined the 2nd Cruiser Squadron with the Atlantic Fleet Sep-1929. Remaining there until Nov-1930 when she went into reserve.
Converted to a cadets training ship 1932 and continued in this until 1939.
Took part in the King George V Silver Jubilee Fleet Review 16-Jul-1935.
Was then laid up until 05-jan-1940 when she went in for refit until Mar-1942.
After this she went to the Eastern Fleet in the Indian Ocean and the 4th Cruiser Squadron where she remained until Mar-1944.
Returned to home waters and took part in the Normandy landings Jun-1944 as part of Force D off Sword Beach.
Damaged by a torpedo Aug-1944 and was used as a cadet training ship again.
Sold 26-Mar-1949 and arrived at Cashmore of Newport 11-May-1949 for breaking up.
Won the Battle Honour: Normandy 1944.
This page last edited -
12 February, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.