HMS Churchill (1940) DD (1st)
This the first ship to carry the name HMS Churchill was a Town
Class, destroyer. One of 50 sold to the Royal Navy under the destroyers
for bases agreement.
Originally the USS Herndon DD198, built by Newport News Shipbuilding Co, laid down 25-Nov-1918, launched 31-May-1919, commissioned in the US Navy 17-Apr-1920, commissioned in the Royal Navy 09-Sep-1940 and later renamed.
Arrived for refit at Devonport on 17-Nov-1940, having searched for survivors from HMS Jervis Bay during her passage across the Atlantic. Entered service as convoy escort on Jan-1941.
Began work with the 3rd Escort Group at Liverpool, moving on to the Iceland and later Newfoundland with the 18th Escort Group.
Refit and repairs took from Sep-1941 to Jan-1942, then joined the B5 Escort Group. Went to the West Indies to reinforce anti-submarine patrols there following the entry of the USA into the war. Refitted at Charleston, South Carolina Sep-1942 and continued with escort work until Feb-1944. By then age and defects meant she was paid of at Tyneside.
brought out of reserve and refitted before being loaned to the Russian Navy 16-Jul-1944 and renamed Deiatelnyi and used as escort in Arctic waters.
Sunk 16-Jan-1945 by U-956 in the Arctic, the last war loss of her class.
Won the Battle Honour: Atlantic 1941-44.
Other HMS Churchill
This page last edited -
30 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.