HMS Chelsea (1940) DD (1st)
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Chelsea was a
Town Class, destroyer. One of 50 sold to the Royal Navy under the
destroyers for bases agreement.
Originally the USS Crowninshield DD134, built by Bath iron Works, laid down 05-Nov-1918, launched 24-Jul-1919, commissioned in the US Navy 06-Aug-1919, commissioned in the Royal Navy 09-Sep-1940 and renamed.
Arrived at Devonport 28-Sep-1940 for refit. Joined the 17th Flotilla at Liverpool 12-Oct-1940. Defects were repaired at Liverpool from 04-Nov to 06-Dec-1940 after which she joined the 6th Escort Group providing convoy escort in the Atlantic and for Gibraltar convoys. This continued until Feb-1942 when accumulation of defects and damage sent her for a major repair and refit at London
After this she joined the Western Local Escort Force.
Loaned to the Royal Canadian Navy Nov-1942 to Dec-1943 after which she paid off and went into reserve.
Loaned to the Soviet Navy 16-Jul-1944 to 24-Jun-1949 and renamed Derzky. Returned to RN service at Rosyth 24-Jun-1949.
Sold 12-Jul-1949 and broken up at Bo'ness.
Won the Battle Honour: Atlantic 1940-43.
This page last edited -
30 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.