Home

HMS Calcutta (1909)  (3rd)
Barracks ship

    
This the third ship to carry the name HMS Calcutta was a barracks ship.

Originally a battleship HMS Hercules.

Built at Chatham Dockyard and launched 10-Feb-1868. 

Serving initially with the Channel Fleet from 1868-74,  followed by a refit. After this she went to the Mediterranean Fleet from 1875-77. Becoming part of the Particular Service Squadron during the Russian Crisis of 1878.

From 1881 she was either in coastguard, or harbour service then into Reserve. She was modernised in 1892, but on completion went straight back into Reserve. 

Became a barracks ship in 1905. Then renamed HMS Calcutta in 1909. Renamed again in Apr-1915 as Fisgard II.

Sold Jul-1932, and moved to Preston as a hulk 01-Dec-1932.

 

Other HMS Calcutta
- 1st  HMS Calcutta
- 2nd HMS Calcutta
- 3rd HMS Calcutta
- 4th HMS Calcutta
- 5th HMS Calcutta

- ? Class
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

c.
This page last edited - 25 March, 2013.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.