HMS Buxton (1940) DD (1st)
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Buxton was a Town
Class, destroyer. One of 50 sold to the Royal Navy under the destroyers
for bases agreement.
Originally the USS Edwards DD265, built by Bethlehem Steel of Squantum, laid down 20-Apr-1918, launched 10-Oct-1918, commissioned in the US Navy 24-Apr-1919, commissioned in the Royal Navy 08-Oct-1940 and renamed.
Repair of defects meant she did not serve on escort duty in Canadian waters until Mar-1941.
After refit at Boston Aug and Sep-1941 moved to the Clyde to join the 26th Escort Group.
Another refit, this time at Chatham took from Mid-Nov-1941 until Feb-1942. During trials she ran aground and repairs took until May-1942. Then joined the B6 Escort Group at Liverpool until Aug-1943 when she joined the Canadian Navy Western Local Escort Force at Halifax.
Continued with escort work until Aug-1943 when increasing defects meant her operational service was at an end. Transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy for use as a static training ship.
Paid off 16-Jan-1945 and sold 21-Mar-1946 for breaking up..
Won the Battle Honour: Atlantic 1941-43.
This page last edited -
28 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.