HMS Burwell (1940) DD (1st)
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Burwell was a Town
Class, destroyer. One of 50 sold to the Royal Navy under the destroyers
for bases agreement.
Originally the USS Laub DD263, built by Bethlehem Steel of Squantum, laid down 20-Apr-1918, launched 25-Aug-1918, commissioned in the US Navy 17-Mar-1919, commissioned in the Royal Navy 08-Oct-1940 and renamed.
Arrived at Devonport 05-Nov-1940 for refit which took until 24-Feb-1941 after which she joined the 12th Escort Group for convoy escort duty. Moved to Iceland then St. Johns, Newfoundland July-1941 when the Newfoundland Escort Force was formed.
In Aug-1941 was one of the ships which recovered U-570 after its surrender. After this convoy escort duty continued until Nov-1941 when she refitted at Boston from 14-Noc-1941 to 03-Feb-1942.
Escort duty in the North Atlantic continued interspersed with various repairs until Feb-1943. Then there was one return escort duty from the UK to Gibraltar. Followed by a return to the North Atlantic until Oct-1943.
Reduced to second line duty Oct-1943 and used as a target ship based at the Clyde. Continued with this until 14-Jan-1945 when she paid off into unmaintained reserve at Milford Haven.
Sold 04-Mar-1947 and broken up at Milford Haven.
Won the Battle Honour: Atlantic 1941-43.
This page last edited -
23 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.