HMS Bradford (1940) DD (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Bradford was a Town
Class, destroyer. One of 50 sold to the Royal Navy under the destroyers
for bases agreement.
Originally the USS McLanahan DD264, built by Bethlehem Steel of Squantum, laid down 20-Apr-1918, launched 22-Sep-1918, commissioned in the US Navy 05-Sep-1919, commissioned in the Royal Navy 08-Oct-1940 and renamed.
Converted to a Long range escort at Sheerness and became operational on Oct-1941 with the 43rd Escort Group, serving on the UK/Gibraltar convoy route.
Further defects were repaired at Humberside from June to Aug-1942.
Moved to convoy escort duty for the invasion of North Africa, Operation Torch. During this she was in collision and went aground.
On return to the UK went for repair at Liverpool Dec-1942.
In mid 1943 it was decided she was beyond economic repair and paid off into the control of Devonport Command.
Used as an accommodation ship at Devonport from 01-Jun-1943.
Put up for scrapping 19-Jun-1946.
Towed to Troon Aug-1946 for breaking up.
Other HMS Bradford
This page last edited -
22 April, 2013.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.